The Albert F. Totman Library’s goal is to provide a safe and welcoming environment for all Patrons using the library facilities and attending programs. To maintain this goal, the Albert F. Totman Library Board of Trustees has established the following Patron Conduct rules of behavior while visiting the library.
Acceptable Patron conduct includes any normal activities associated with the use of a public library, reading, studying, using library materials, computers and other activities associated with library programs and functions. Patrons not engaged in these activities may be asked to leave the library. No individual may engage in inappropriate conduct while on the library premises.
- Inappropriate conduct includes any individual or group activity which is unreasonably disturbing or unlawful including but not limited to:
- Committing or attempting to commit a crime
- Possessing a weapon (exception for law enforcement)
- Physically intimidating or assaultive behavior
- Making threats or violent acts
- Loud, obnoxious talking or noises
- Engaging in any activity a reasonable person would find to be disruptive, harassing or threatening to Patrons or Library staff
- Possessing, selling, distributing , consuming or being under the influence of alcohol or illegal substances
- Smoking or use of other tobacco products
- Eating or drinking in library building (exception for special functions or programs)
- Engaging in any sexual contact, activities or conduct
- Sleeping, napping or dozing on library premises
- Bringing any animal into library facilities (exception for service animals and animals used in special functions or programs)
- Not wearing shoes or shirt inside library building
- Use of cell phones
- Using personal electronic equipment (tablets, computers, cell phones, etc.) at a loud volume or making ongoing noises, such as singing, that is unreasonably disturbing to other library users and staff
- Offensive personal hygiene
- Entering non-public areas of the library without permission
- Improper use of library restroom
- Selling, soliciting, surveying, distributing written materials without the written authorization of the Board of Trustees or Library staff
- Damaging library materials, furniture, walls, machines or other library property is prohibited
Security and Safety of Children
The Library staff is not responsible for children left unattended in the library or on the premises. It is the sole responsibility of the parents or guardians to provide supervision for their children and must be within visual and physical contact of a child under the age of seven.
Violation of Policy
If a Patron breaches the above policies, they will be asked to cease immediately. If the person fails to comply with the request, they will be asked to leave the premises for the remainder of the calendar day. If he/she responds in an abusive or threatening manner and fails to leave, the police will be summoned. In the case of a minor, the Parent or Guardian will be notified. Library personnel will record all instances in which Patrons have been disruptive and asked to leave the premises.
If a Patron continually persists in disruptive or abusive behavior, the Board of Trustees will consider a restriction of access for the Patron.
These policies may be changed or supplemented at the discretion of the Albert F. Totman Library Board of Trustees.
Revised April 14, 2018